Speak to one of our solicitors for free
0800 988 7756
What Is Professional Negligence?
Put simply, professional negligence is where a professional person (whether a solicitor, financial adviser, barrister, surveyor, doctor, accountant or other) fails to perform to the standard expected of them, causing you to suffer loss. Professionals have an obligation (known as a duty of care) to their clients to perform their jobs to a reasonable standard and with reasonable care.
Where a professional has been negligent, a professional negligence claim may be made to compensate you for your loss. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the damages you are entitled to.
Why choose our professional negligence solicitors?
Our team of professional negligence lawyers has over 50 years of experience in advising businesses and individuals on professional negligence claims. Led by Steven Newdall, our specialist team are members of the Professional Negligence Lawyers Association.
We give our professional negligence clients tailored, expert advice. We will give you honest and straightforward advice on the prospects of your claim and will work with you to achieve the result you deserve.
Our solicitors will keep you updated on the progress of your case and give you clear costs advice. For more information on our professional negligence pricing, please visit our pricing page.
How can we help you?
Our professional negligence team advise on claims against all professionals, including: accountants, barristers, construction professionals, financial advisers, professional advisers, IT professionals, solicitors, personal injury lawyer and surveyors & architects.
It is important to note that there are strict time limits for professional negligence claims. In the main, this is six years. However, there are some exceptions, so it is worth getting in touch to discuss your claim. We always recommend that you contact us as soon as you become aware of any negligence.
Our recent cases
We have recently successfully recovered compensation for many clients. Examples include:
Commercial Property Solicitors
Our client (a property development company), instructed solicitors to draw up a sub-lease with the tenant company’s directors as sureties to the lease. The tenant fell into arrears, and the client was unable to recover from any sureties. We successfully negotiated a settlement of £80,000 plus costs for our client without having to go to court.
Our clients instructed solicitors to deal with a neighbour dispute. The solicitors incorrectly advised our clients they had no claim. We settled a claim against the solicitors and recovered £77,500 for our clients.
- Our client sought advice from solicitors on selling company shares. The solicitors’ advice didn’t protect our client’s interests. We were instructed in a claim against the solicitors and settled the claim at mediation. Our client accepted an excellent settlement of £86,500.
- Our client’s former solicitors mishandled court proceedings, leading to the client being prevented from making further arguments in the case. We intervened and stopped enforcement action being taken against the client, successfully getting the client’s case back on track. We obtained an immediate apology from the previous solicitors, plus payment of damages and costs for our client.
- Our clients instructed solicitors in the purchase of their home. The solicitors failed to check that the loft conversion had the relevant building regulations approval or advise our clients on this. This left our clients unable to sell their home some years later. We achieved a settlement of £25,000 for our clients.
Our clients brought a professional negligence claim against a firm of architects who had acted as contract administrators on the remodelling of the clients’ home. The building works were defective. We successfully recovered £120,000 plus costs for our clients.
Personal Injury Solicitors
- Our client pursued a personal injury claim after a car accident. Due to his solicitors’ negligence he was forced to under-settle his claim. We began a professional negligence claim against the former solicitors and recovered £175,000 plus costs for our client.
- Our client had instructed personal injury solicitors in relation to an injury he suffered at work. The solicitors missed the limitation date, meaning that the client was unable to pursue his claim. We recovered £25,000 plus costs from the solicitors for our client.
What Our Clients Say
Working with Levi Solicitors has been a very good experience. I am really pleased that I selected the firm to represent me in this professional negligence claim and I am delighted with the highly satisfactory outcome of the case. Thank you very much! I would heartily and sincerely recommend your services.
I dealt with Steven Newdall in a professional negligence claim and I have to say his legal judgment and skill throughout the process was simply brilliant. In addition to that, having matters explained to me in layman's terms, and being kept fully informed throughout kept me at ease and took the stress of dealing with this away from me. I would highly recommend Steven.
"Professional and knowledgeable. Levi Solicitors were absolutely brilliant, very knowledgeable and professional. I have 100% confidence that anything I need from them will be done to the highest standard."
"I would definitely recommend Levi Solicitors as I found their legal services to be professional, effective and efficient."