Help! My property has not been registered correctly!

On purchasing a property, your ownership will be registered at the Land Registry. Unfortunately, sometimes errors in registration are made. So what can you do if you later discover that the property has been incorrectly registered? We look below at what is known as ‘title rectification’.

Spelling of names/ addresses mistakes

If your name has been spelled incorrectly on the register or your address details are incorrect, this is a relatively minor error which fortunately can be easily rectified. In most cases, the Land Registry will sort this free of charge. If you are selling your property, your solicitor will need to deal with this prior to completing the sale. If you aren’t selling your property, it may be worth contacting the solicitor who acted for you at the time of the purchase to request that they resolve the issue.

Where there is no error, but where your name or address has changed, you can contact Land Registry. They will sort this for you free of charge.

Incorrect details of charges

Any mortgages which you have taken out on purchasing the property will be entered onto the Land Registry as charges. After registration, mortgage lenders will check that the charge has been registered correctly. In the rare event that the details of the charge are incorrect and that this has gone unnoticed, the solicitor acting for you at the time of the purchase will need to rectify this and contact all involved parties.

Incorrect purchase price

The price paid on the purchase of the property will be entered onto the title. It is important that this is correct so that when you sell the property, it is not undervalued.

If the purchase price is incorrect, an application can be submitted to the Land Registry to rectify this. It is likely that they will require further evidence in the form of a document signed by all involved parties to confirm what the purchase price was if it was different to the documents submitted to the Land Registry at the time of the purchase.

Incorrect details within documents referred to in the title

If there are any mistakes in the documents submitted to the Land Registry such as details of rights of way and restrictions which may be recent or historic, the Land Registry will not rectify the mistake. Any mistakes inherent in a document provided to the Land Registry must be submitted to the First Tier Tribunal. Should your application be successful, the Tribunal will order the Land Registry to amend the Register.


If your solicitor makes an application to amend the register and it could affect other parties, the Land Registry will firstly notify those parties. Where there are objections to your application, the Land Registry will ask the parties to attempt to resolve the matter between them. If they cannot, the Land Registry will transfer the dispute to the First Tier Tribunal who will make a decision.

Professional negligence claims

If your conveyancing solicitor has made an error that has caused you loss, you may have a professional negligence claim. If this is the case, we recommend you speak to a specialist professional negligence solicitor as soon as you are able. They will be able to advise you on whether you are likely to have a successful claim against the solicitor, and how much money you may be able to claim. Our team has years of experience in resolving claims against solicitors. Call them on 0800 988 7756 or fill in the contact form to arrange a free initial discussion.

Of course, in most cases, the Land Registry will correctly register your property on the completion of your purchase. However, if you have a query relating to title rectification, call our specialist property disputes team today on 0800 988 7756.

Recently Added

Probate court fees to rise in May

Probate court fees to rise in May

Following a consultation last year, the Government is increasing the probate court fee by 10%. | Probate court fees A court fee is usually payable when applying for probate. There is no fee if the estate is valued at £5,000 or less. If it is over £5,000, the...

Renters (Reform) Bill: Can the Courts cope?

Renters (Reform) Bill: Can the Courts cope?

The government has pledged to bring in the Renters (Reform) Bill and end “no fault evictions” before the next general election. For more information on this, read our previous blogs on the topic. In fact, it looks likely to be back in the House of Commons next week. ...

What our clients say