Speak to one of our solicitors for free.
0800 988 7756
Get moving with Levi Solicitors
Saved the deposit, found the home, had the offer accepted… Now let’s get you on the property ladder.
Our experienced conveyancing team have helped thousands of first time buyers and can guide your through the entire house purchase, making the process as stress-free as possible. We’re ready to get you moving.
For an instant conveyancing quote, call us on 0800 988 7756 to talk to one of our specialist team. Or use the calculator below.
How can we help?
Complete our enquiry form and we’ll get back to you.
Why Choose Our Conveyancing Solicitors To Buy Your First Home?
Our conveyancing team has a wealth of experience of acting for first time buyers of all types of houses and flats.
You can expect a dedicated team, prompt and uncomplicated updates and we won’t use technical legal jargon.
We take pride in the service our teams provide and have the reviews to prove it! We are ranked highly for conveyancing in West Yorkshire and nationally by ReviewSolicitors! Read some of our clients’ testimonials to see what they have to say about us.
We know how important it is for you to know how much everything is going to cost. Our conveyancing quotes are transparent. For a FREE no obligation quote, use our online quote calculator.
You will have use of our app to send and receive paperwork and information which speeds the process up and means you have access to you documents wherever you are. All of the initial documents can be signed electronically through the app, saving you trips to our offices. You will also receive updates on the milestones you reach through your property purchase.
Here for you, wherever you are
With our online quote calculator, conveyancing app and distance conveyancing service, we can bring our experience and knowledge to your first house purchase, no matter where you are. There is no need to come into the office (although you are welcome to!), and everything can be done by phone or online.
It is normal to have lots of questions, especially if you are a first time buyer. We have answered some Frequently Asked Questions to guide you through the process and help to get you started.
How We Can Help First Time Buyers Get Moving
The conveyancing process can be a stressful and confusing process. We will make you aware of the timescales involved, and we will guide you through your purchase every step of the way.
We always offer a personalised and friendly service and will work to ensure that your first property purchase goes as smoothly as possible, so you can concentrate on enjoying this exciting chapter of your life.
First Time Buyer FAQs
How much does it cost to buy a house?
At Levi Solicitors, as with most other conveyancing solicitors, the price of the conveyancing process varies depending on the value of the property you are purchasing. Get an instant quote from our online conveyancing calculator.
There are other costs involved in the process known as disbursements. These include:
- Land Registry fees
- Survey fees
- Stamp Duty Land Tax (see below).
What is the process for buying a house?
Once you have found your dream home, and the seller has accepted your offer, there are still a few stages to go through before you own your first home. In brief:
- Choose and instruct a solicitor to act on behalf of you (and your mortgage lender).
- Complete initial paperwork from the solicitor and send proof of deposit money
- Apply for a mortgage.
- Your solicitor will carry out searches on the property for you.
- Instruct a surveyor to carry out a property survey on the property.
- The solicitor will review the property deeds and searches and send any relevant enquiries to the seller’s solicitor. Once the enquiries have been answered in full, the solicitor will arrange for you to sign the Mortgage Deed and Contract paperwork
- Pay your deposit to the solicitor.
- Decide on a completion date with the seller (this is the date on which you will own your property).
- Exchange contracts. This is when the buyer and seller swap signed contracts.
- Sign the transfer deed. This will need to be witnessed.
- Your solicitor will ask your mortgage lender to transfer over the mortgage money.
- On the completion date, your solicitor will send your deposit and the mortgage money to the seller’s solicitor.
- We will confirm once completion has taken place and you can collect the keys to your first home!
- We will then register you as the owner of the property with HM Land Registry and send you the title deeds once received.
Do first time buyers pay stamp duty?
When you buy a property or land over a certain value, a tax known as Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) becomes payable. As a first time buyer, you can claim a discount. This means that you do not pay any SDLT if you are buying a house up to £425,000. On a property worth between £425,001 and £625,000 you would pay a reduced rate of 5% of the portion above £425,001. If the price is over £625,000, you cannot claim the relief. For more information on Stamp Duty, visit the government’s website.
For first time buyers purchasing in Wales, you will pay Land Transaction Tax (LTT) on properties over £225,000. There is no first time buyer’s discount on LTT. For more information on LTT, visit the Welsh Government’s website.
Residential Conveyancing Team
What our clients say
Mr R, Bruntwood
"Very friendly and professional, a nice company to deal with."
Miss P, Leeds
"Keep up the super service, we are over the moon. Thank you."
Mr E & Miss S, Bradford
"We found Levi's to be very professional, helpful, friendly and totally efficient."
Ms F, Leeds
"Trusted and highly recommended. 5*"
Miss P, Leeds
"Cannot fault anything! Thank you so much for everything."